Duplicate ID #'s

Russ Pease

I keep getting duplicate ID #'s in Sessions. Sometimes the software will flag the issue other times it does not. How do we avoid this from happening? How do you find them, it can be very difficult in larger sessions.

James

Can you provide a little more information? What settings are on your ID fields, how is data being entered, any logic rules in place?

I've found that using the validation rules only work when using a form submit command. Posting a grid to another session or using SQL actions bypass any validation checks.

Russ Pease

I find I get them under different situations. Today I just added a new field and it issued it with a duplicate ID. Copy and Paste often create a duplicate ID situation. These fields are lookup, but the duplicate ID is created when I add the field, not when I select the data that is going into it.

James

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying earlier - that's what I get for trying to think too soon after a weekend! You mean the control ids in the form designer. I've had a lot of those too with no rhyme or reason. I've even had them appear when loading a previously saved project that showed no errors before - meaning it changed the control id of some element either during saving or loading. It's apparently random and fairly easy to fix so I just have it reassign the id and ignore it.

If you're getting them frequently or consistently with one project, you might try opening a ticket and attaching the project so PTS can see it, but I've never been able to get an example that could be duplicated consistently.

Russ Pease

Yes that is what I mean. I can find no consistency on it either. But I can tell you it is a battle I am dealing with now several times a day. As my project has gotten larger the problem has also increased. I will send a ticket with my current project.

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hi,

We have seen reports of this happening though rare and inconsistent. It sounds like you are experiencing the inconsistent part as well. To help us track it down, your best bet would be to create a ticket with us with your project attached. My feeling is that something in your project settings is exposing a flaw in how we assign control IDs. Frustrating, I agree.

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hi Russ,

If you have not already, it may be worth it to send the project over to us. This seems to be a generally rare issue so maybe something common in your project would be a clue to what is causing it.