GS1-128 barcodes with multiple control chars require multiline field

James

Running TP 9.2.0.1374 on a Cipherlab RS30, scan service originally 1.0.36 upgraded to 1.0.41 with the apk from https://support.tracerplus.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/238/0/cipherlab-android-devices.

Scanning USPS tracking barcodes into a field with multiline=false results in truncated reading with laser imager. These barcodes have two FNC1 characters in them. The data before the second FNC1 is read into the field, the data after the FNC1 is discarded. Changing the field property to multiline=true corrects the issue and the entire barcode is read. It is displayed as a normal, discrete string - the data is not broken up or displayed over multiple lines.

When does this not happen? Some tracking barcodes do not have an application ID and destination ZIP code and so don't have a second FNC1 character - these scan normally. Other code 128 symbologies like FedEx labels behave normally. A Motorola Droid Razr using the camera in TP 9.1 can scan barcodes containing multiple FNC1s without requiring multiline=true. I was not able to test using the RS30's camera, apparently scan service 1.0.41 disables it?

I've attached two samples, single.png will read fully into any field, multiple.png will fail to scan fully into a field with multiline=false. Multiple.png begins with the application ID and destination ZIP (42027102) before the tracking number printed under the barcode. According to what I can find from the USPS, the only character between the ZIP and tracking number is FNC1.

Attachments