Making Printers Project Specific and printer reports Session Specific

Russ Pease

Managing printers is very tedious the way it is presently done.

It would simplify things if the printer Connection preferences were a Project setting. Then these printer settings would only have to be setup once.

The selecting of the report would be stay as it is as a session setting.

With the Printer and Reports settings locked together you can easily create a situation where you need 15 or 20 different print buttons to take care of all the possibilities.

Dan Peluso

Staff member
I agree with this (I think). I did want to clarify what you are running up against though.

It sounds like you are trying to set up multiple reports *or* multiple conditions on when you might print a report.

Since the only real difference in my assumption is something like the condition of *when* to print the report, you find yourself creating multiple reports and having to manually recreate/copy the config settings from some previous report and only altering the condition or some other variable.

If that is the case, your suggestion makes a ton of sense. In the past, we basically had 1 printer and 1 report available per session. When we expanded this feature, our intention was to allow different reports for different physical printers you might need to use; a receipt printer for a customer invoice but a completely different printer/report for a price change label (as an example).

I think once Print conditions were introduced, this printer/report relationship model does not work as well.

I have added a design feature request to have us look at this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Russ Pease

Yes this is essentially the problem. We now have 5 printers and up to 3 reports in a session. This requires 5x3=15 print configuration. I only seeing this issue continuing to grow. The Manage Reports part of the software starts to have issues once you have more than 10 reports.