Not advancing to next field

Jason

Using Honeywell Tecton MX7
TracerPlus 8
Windows mobile

I have the project set to advance to "field" after scans (multiple fields set same). However, once I place it in use the fields do not advance after scan.
NOTE: I had to perform a cold boot, since the cold boot the sessions have not been working properly. However, in theory it should not have mattered based on I did a reinstall of the tracer plus on the mobile and re deployed the project.

HELP ?

Howard Heckman III

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jason,

The most likely cause of the go to field not working on a Honeywell device is a Scan Suffix (sometimes called a postamble, or terminator) not being set in the scanner settings on the device. Since TracerPlus does not natively support the scanner on Honeywell devices, it relies on a scan application running in the background. This background application, called Scan Wedge, basically powers on the scanner, and enters the scan data into any field on the device where the cursor is blinking. As far as TracerPlus is concerned this is just keyboard data, so it never knows that the data is done and it needs to navigate to the go to field.

The solution to this is to turn on that scan suffix/postamble feature using the background scan software on the device. On a Honeywell device this is located in the Power tools, however each model could be slightly different. Go to the Start Menu->Power Tools->EZ Config. Then in the Scan Wedge section select the Settings folder. You should see a 'Data Terminator' option, make sure this is on, and set it to 13 (a tab character).

This basically has a tab character sent to TracerPlus at the end of the scan so it executes the Go To action.

Again, this process might be slightly different per Honeywell device, if it is take a look around for a similar setting.

Let us know if this helps.

Jason

Hi Jason,

The most likely cause of the go to field not working on a Honeywell device is a Scan Suffix (sometimes called a postamble, or terminator) not being set in the scanner settings on the device. Since TracerPlus does not natively support the scanner on Honeywell devices, it relies on a scan application running in the background. This background application, called Scan Wedge, basically powers on the scanner, and enters the scan data into any field on the device where the cursor is blinking. As far as TracerPlus is concerned this is just keyboard data, so it never knows that the data is done and it needs to navigate to the go to field.

The solution to this is to turn on that scan suffix/postamble feature using the background scan software on the device. On a Honeywell device this is located in the Power tools, however each model could be slightly different. Go to the Start Menu->Power Tools->EZ Config. Then in the Scan Wedge section select the Settings folder. You should see a 'Data Terminator' option, make sure this is on, and set it to 13 (a tab character).

This basically has a tab character sent to TracerPlus at the end of the scan so it executes the Go To action.

Again, this process might be slightly different per Honeywell device, if it is take a look around for a similar setting.

Let us know if this helps.
THANK YOU!!!!!

Little different terminology ( CARRIAGE RETURN) for this model but was able to do a better google search specific to the MX7 and found exactly what I needed.

Windows
Settings
Control Panel
Data Collection
Data Options
Symbology Settings
Check Mark Suffix
add ^M
and SAVE

Thank Again!

OliverR

Hi Jason,

Hi Howard,

We recently had the same problem at a customer of ours who use Intermec devices. We figured this out ourselves and added a Carriage Return in the postamble, that fixed the problem of the cursor not advancing to the next field. However, I also noticed that variable fields set to "input type" always said "keyboard", even when data was scanned. I didn't give it much thought at the time since it wasn't very important, but the underlined part in your post explains why this is. So basically, on devices that use scanwedge/datawedge you can't register the input type then, since it'll always be "keyboard". That's good to know, and something to keep in mind when advising leads or customers on which mobile devices.