Delay between Scans

Does anyone know if it possible to enforce a delay of, say, 5 seconds between scans? This is to avoid data errors as I have found fields can be dropped if the user can re-scan instantly (and we only have three fields of data)!

Thanks

Tom

Joseph Kraebel

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tom,

I believe we addressed this via a support ticket but will post the info here for other users to see.

We don't have the ability to add a delay but you could add validation to each of the fields to have a min length of 1 to prevent submits without data.

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hi,

To add to what Joe said....Some scanners allow setting a delay between scans in the scanner settings themselves. If applicable, you may want to take a look at the scanner settings at the device level.

OliverR

Hi Tom, I played around a little with a timer and a couple of form logic rules and managed to fabricate something that more or less does what you're asking for. Clicking the submit button will move to a 2nd tab displaying "Please wait 3 seconds", and activate a timer. The timer simply moves the focus back to the 1st field after 3 seconds. In order for this to work I had to create a hidden field (readonly) on the 2nd tab and set that as the "start on" field, as this is the field that receives focus after a submit action. One drawback to this is that the app opens on the 2nd tab and the user has to click a button to move to the 1st tab to start scanning.

Obviously you will want to widen the tab control so that the tabs are out of view of the user. You will also want to set up validation for the 3 fields to prevent submitting empty records, etc...

Anyway, I've added a .tpe file, feel free to have a look and see if you can finetune it to make it work like you want. I've made it so that scanning a value in the last field submits a record. I did this via a form logic rule because doing it the usual way didn't trigger the timer. This can all be changed easily.

I've only tested this on a Windows Mobile device, not on Android.

Attachments