How to make a unique ID by scan session?

Didier

Hello,
I would like to have a unique scan ID by session made the same day.

I am ussing TracerPlus with Acces 2010.
I have a session named Check_IN with the following fields :
- Code
- Client
- Item
- Quantity
- Date / Time

Once I finish my scan with the terminal, I synchronise my session (Check_IN) with Acces via TracerPlus Connect.
In case I make several scan sessions in the same day, at the same customer location, how could I get a unique ID by scan session ?
Thanks,

Ray

I would say add a a field "SessionID" in your data base and manually put in a session number in your app field, save locally on device then sync

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hi,

Could you use something like a Time/Date stamp formatted like yyyymmddhhmmss to indicate year, month, day, hour, minute, second?

Using this along with Clear On Submit being turned off so this session 'ID' is retained while in the same data entry session.

Let me know if that helps.

Didier

Hello,

Thank you Ray and Dan for your answers.
I first thought to use a time/date stamp, it's a good idea, but in the case I start to scan at 14h59 and finish at 15H00, I would have a different ID for the same scan session.
I think to use a part of the Ray's answer but I need an automatic process.
I could manage an IDs list with a data base table as a reference, synchronise it with a TracerPlus session, increment an ID field in this session and then update the referenced data base table by synchronise it with this session. In the case I have many RFID scanners, I could add the ID of each readers.
Well, I need to validate this.

Regards,

Didier

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hi,
Your description sounds like it could work. It also makes sense to do something with each device (like device ID) to keep it unique in a multi device environment.

To clarify the Time/Date Stamp suggestion above. If you use the Clear On Submit option turned OFF for this time/date field, the value would stay at 14h59 for all records since it would never refresh since Clear On Submit is turned OFF.

Didier

Hi Dan,
I made some tests with your suggetion of Time Stamp with the Clear On Submit turned OFF for the date / time field, it works very well !
That is the solution I am going to use with my data base.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,

Didier