Simple validation

Jair Rahu

With this application, is there a way to validate a scanned barcode by its prefix? In our company, barcodes start with an alpha prefix .i.e. "S" for serial numbers, "P" for SKUs, etc. A serial would look like this "S12345678", a SKU like "P12-123ABZ", etc.

Usually, all this information is contained in a single label as SKU#, Serial#, Quantity, Etc. and each field must be scanned and validated accordingly based on its prefix.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Yes, you can do this in a couple of ways.

1. You can use our Smart Form feature (location in the Data Capture section for each Session). Smart Form settings allow you to direct a data input scan to a specific field based on certain rules like "BeginsWith", "EndsWith", "Contains","IsLength", etc, etc. This is also nice in the event, the user does not have focus set to the appropriate field when doing the scan. Sometimes a brush of the screen or similar will set focus to an incorrect field causing invalid data. The smart form options helps eliminate some of that.

2. You could also use our conditional logic features to do the similar as #1 above. Adding action items to specific events (like DataChanged) can allow you to assign specific actions to occur on that event. Moving data from field to field or even parsing data via calculated fields may be options that could work for you. I won't go into as much detail on that because I bet Item 1 would work well for you. Let me know if you would like more detail on this though. Conditional Logic is accessible via the Form Designer (Right most button on the toolbar).

Thanks. Let me know if that helps.

Jair Rahu

Dan, thank you very much for the detailed answer.

This is very impressive. I like a lot. Option 1 is exactly what we would need!

We are in the process of replacing all our barcode system in our three warehouses (because is way too old) with TracerPlus Professional and Tracerplus Connect, using Cipherlab 9700 mobile computers. We are going to start with a pilot approach in order to become familiar with the software and then we will do the full implementation.

Dan, where we can find documentation and samples about all of these great features and what would you recommend should we our path in order to be acquainted with your software as soon as possible ?

Thank you.