Questions - Dropdowns and Connect Filtering

Ian Ingham

Couple questions...

1. Can a dropdown in one session populate from data in from different session? I know I can pre-populate one from ODBC or Excel, but I'd like to use the data from another session. For example, my app will allow the user (a truck driver) to identify himself using an ID number stored in a different session (a device settings session). I could load the list of drivers from Desktop, but the list does change occasionally and I'd like to sync the driver list to the device, then let the driver pick his name from the list. Or perhaps there's a non-dropdown way to accomplish this?

2. I would like to sync records that only pertain to the device that the user is using at the time. The device has been assigned an ID number, so I'd like to fetch only the records from my SQL server that have that device ID as the identifier. I can create a dynamic source filter, but it looks like I can only filter by a field in the destination session and the device ID is stored in a different session.

3. If I want a session table, but not the form, can the form that's automatically be created be hidden from the user? This would be for session tables like reference tables that I would be using SQL statements to get data from.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hi,
I apologize for the delay on this answer.

1. This is not currently possible but is on our feature wish list. You can, however, use the grid control to perform some of this similar functionality.

2. The dynamic filter would be the suggestion I would make here but you are correct that it uses data in the current session. Is there a way you can use a lookup to extract that value from the other session in order to supply it to the dynamic filter?

3. If you set the enabled property of a session to false, this will hide that session from the default launcher. You can also create your own custom launcher definition file that can be customized in more ways than just the default launcher. I don't know that this feature is widely used but it is available and there is detailed discussion about this in the UserGuide.