ERROR DURING DEPLOY: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

cjennings

I've gotten this strange error twice while tweaking a pretty robust form. Each time I lose all of my work and have to painstaking start over. Has anyone experienced this?

The second time it happened I think I figured out that it happened after I accidentally erased the whole form and then used the undo button to get everything back on the page. I noticed that a number of the ControlIDs had changed resulting in some being duplicated. Each time though I corrected the duplicated ControlIDs.

The TP error tells you to turn on JITDebugging in the config file. Does anyone know where that is to turn it on? I'd like to actually try that instead of losing all of my work.

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hmm. I am sorry you experienced that. If you can duplicate the steps, we would love to hear about it and then hopefully be able to find and fix it.

The JITDebugging wont be very useful for you but I wonder if you can just click "Continue" to allow you to keep moving forward in TP Desktop.

cjennings

It can be duplicated by having a form with many fields (on and off the visual page for the device), delete the whole form, then hit undo. The error comes up when you deploy.

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Thanks. I was able to replicate part of what you were seeing so I will write that up as a bug to address for a later release.

What I was able to reproduce was the JIT Exception. Since I was getting this exception on anything I touched on teh form, what I did was immediately save the project after doing the Undo and then immediately re-open the project. This seems to fix JIT exception and also seems to retain the correct Control IDs

cjennings

It has happened again...AGAIN on a HUGE form I've been working on for hours. I'm not sure what created this JIT Exception this time. I do know that I used 'undo' but never to get back the whole form that I accidentally erased as last time. From what I can remember it was just to undo random small things. Maybe TP shouldn't have an 'undo' action?

cjennings

And when I closed and reopened, all of the fields (90 of them) are there in field settings but the form is gone (all 90 had been configured) and wants me to start over.

The form for the 90 fields looked like 5 pages of this so the most tedious, but not the fastest, form to setup...

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Yikes. I am so sorry this happened again. I still don't have a good answer on why this would be happening. When I was able to reproduce it, I was able to tie it to the undo (maybe). I wasn't quite sure it was related to Undo but seemed that it was at least on some level.