Is it possible to do this using TracerPlus

test

Hello

We are looking at TracerPlus at the moment, we have numerous barcode requirements and TracerPlus seems like what we have been looking for for a long time.

We will mainly need barcode apps that use data from our SOP database, but we do not control that database and cannot add more fields to it, so for any data collected via TracerPlus we need to store it in to a separate database.

Is below possible?

Fields in TracerPlus -

Barcode #
Order No #
Item No #
Item Description
Signature

Only Barcode # and Signature will be editable, Barcode # will be filled using barcode reader.

Order No #, Item No # and Item Description can be fetched using scanned Barcode # from our SOP database and shown in TracerPlus mobile client using SQL query, then once signature is captured all fields (including ones fetched from SOP database) are inserted to a separate database

Is this sort of idea possible?

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hi,

Yes, this is a very common application for TracerPlus. Conceptually, you would want to create 2 TracerPlus sessions. One session would be used for scxanning and saving the scanned barcode items. The 2nd session would be used to hold your referecence data from your SOP database. Using TracerPlus Connect makes it easy to configure syncing to both update your mobile device with your SOP data and also be able to sync back any scanned/collected items FROM the mobile device.

You can download/install TracerPlus Desktop in trial mode to test out most of this. Also, consider our sample projects and videos available on www.tracerplus.com under the Support area. There are a few sample projects that would be relevant for you really but one to look at is named "Mobile Inventory Manager - Count and order inventory". This sample is under the Inventory Control category.

Let me know if this helps.

test

Hey,

So the lookup to our SOP would not be a "live" connection I.e lookup when barcode is scanned? It would just use data from the last sync?

We have fast paced environment so I'm not sure it would work to just refresh SOP data every 30 minutes for example, because maybe we scan it sooner and need the info

Dan Peluso

Staff member
I apologize. I was not as clear as I could have been regarding how that lookup functions. Using TracerPlus Connect to sync data to your device actually functions in 1 of 2 modes. It can either work as a batch sync of data to the device and the lookup would be performed against the local device data or, you can configure it to do Live lookups to the database as it exists in real time on your server. It sounds like the latter setup is the one you would want.

What is nice about TracerPlus is that there is very little difference in the configuration of your project when intending to use Batch or live data. It is a matter of just assigning that session as a live session and you are all set.