Live Data Grid Filters

nicholas.eyerly

I'm developing a program to create a sign out record for parts from an existing SQL inventory database. Parts will be identified by scanning a PartID barcode or searching by location and part number. I'm wondering if it is possible to do the following, regarding the inventory search:
  • Filter items containing what is entered into the local field (ex: searching "12345" would find parts "12345A", 12345-6", etc. for the user to select from the grid)
  • Leaving a local field empty while using the AND condition (ex: having the ability to search for a part number while leaving the location blank, and to search for a part number within a given location) This would be doable with "contains" filter operators and AND logic, so the answer to the first may clear this up

Dan Peluso

Staff member
You should be able to use the LIKE operator for the first filter question. You may need to include a "%" at the tail end of the "12345" to have it perform the way you ask though. I don't recall if TracerPlus puts that in there for you or not. If you needed to add it, you could just create a 2nd calculated field that would be a calc ADD of the actual ITEM + a constant "%" value. Then, you would use this new calc field as your local operator.

For your 2nd question, I am not as sure but you might be able to do the same thing with the LIKE operator and just have that value blank with a "%". Logically, it would make sense that it would then return any location that matches for the first filter item number.

Does that make sense? Let me know if it works for you or if you have any additional question.

Thanks