Loading Connect Profiles

pob

We recently upgraded TP Connect to v. 10.5. There's a single profile residing on each of 2 (Windows 10) satellite PCs, shared by 8 different users. After the upgrade, when user "A" completes a data upload and exits TP Connect, when the next user launches it, no profile is loaded. Each subsequent user must import the shared profile for each upload session. This was not the case with version 9.5. It's not clear what's changed. While not crippling, obviously an inconvenience. Any thoughts?

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hi,

My first thought involves the level to which TP Connect may have been installed or maybe how your user privileges on that machine are managed. The system files for TPC are stored in the \ProgramData folder and if that is locked or otherwise inaccessible, I think Windows creates roaming copies of those config files unique to each user. Do you find that once the user does this one time, he does not have to do it again or is it a repeated issue.

Also, you could consider using TPConnect as a system level Windows service which would then not require TPCOnnect management studio to be running and it would be always on in the background. This is not always an option depending on your Data source configurations but figured I would mention.

pob

Hi Dan -
Something that was nagging me was about the Default File Location in the Preferences. It was apparently defaulting to the users own directory (e.g. c:\users\<user>\documents\... ). When we changed this to a common location (e.g. c:\program files x(86)\PTS\), and updated the Active Connect Project accordingly, it seems to have worked - each different user now auto-loads the same profile upon launch, affording a more kiosk-like effect. Something I'm still curious about is that the initial change was made from an ordinary user's login, not someone with admin permissions on the PC...

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hi,

Sorry for my delay on this. It is true we do default to the user level My Documents folder but it should be noted that this should be changed if you are using the Windows Service since that does not always have access to a specific users My Docs folder. The change you made is what we recommed for sure. The idea that this change was made from a non admin user also makes sense I think since TP Connect does not require Admin privilege for most things.