Problems with live data grid

gpern83

I am very new to tracerplus, but have been making headway in my testing. I have a small project that I am putting together. It is a simple app to scan a product code, and retrieve attributes of that product. I am using 3 sessions to accomplish this.

Scan form: SKU, CATEGORY, DESCRIPTION, QUANTITY plus a grid
2nd session "Items":
Third session "Stock Locations"

I have the scan form setup to perform lookups on session "items". It works just as it should, retrieving category, description and quantity when I input a valid sku. This is true until I apply a grid to Scan Form.

I placed a grid on the main session which is setup to filter SKU=SKU, and display 2 columns from the third session "stock locations". When I initially scan the sku, it populates the 3 text boxes, and the grid, but a moment after it seems to go into some kind of a loop. The scan was of sku 001-0601. This apparent loop of some kind continues to refresh the screen, but on its own populates the SKU field with another number, 001-2231. What would cause it to input a new number on its own?

Again, the lookups work fine, until I try to implement a grid. DB connections are LIVE types. SQL database.

OliverR

Hi gpern83, welcome to the forum.

That seems like a very strange problem. Would you mind uploading a .tpe file (via File -> Export in TracerPlus Deskop menu) of your project so that I can have a look? I'm a bit intrigued by this.

gpern83

Hello Oliver, The file is attached. I really appreciate you checking into this. If there is anymore information that might help, please let me know.

Attachments

OliverR

Hi gpern83, I haven't been able to do any real testing yet with your project because I've been out of the office for most of the day. One thing I noticed, though, was that you have "Auto find on scan" checked for the SKU field in the Scanform session. As far as I can tell this isn't needed for what you're doing with the app, as that option only searches within the current session (in this case, the Scanform session), and you're looking things up in other sessions via lookups (which is the way to do it). I would suggest unchecking that option and see if that changes anything. I don't see how that could cause this behaviour, but since it's not needed for your application I would try unchecking it anyway.

I'll see if I can do some proper testing later today or tomorrow morning and see what I can find.

OliverR

Okay, I did some testing and can confirm that there's definitely something strange going on, but I've no idea what might be causing it. I deleted the configurations for the live connection to the SQL databases, as obviously I don't have those. I also deleted all the filters of the grid to rule out that they were somehow messing things up, but still I get this strange behaviour. Like in gpern83's video, the value in the SKU field is changed almost right after I fill one in. It then keeps continuously refreshing, to the point where I can't even change the field value anymore. This refreshing persists even after closing the session.

I've made a video to demonstrate. This is on a vanilla Samsung Galaxy S5 (was just factory reset), running Android 5.0.

Can the devs maybe take a look at this and see if they can reproduce this behaviour on different Android devices? I have not tested this project on a Windows Mobile device yet, I will do that next.

Joseph Kraebel

Administrator
Staff member
Hi gpern83,

I see that you have created a ticket with us for your issue and we will be reviewing. We will continue to work with you through the ticket however once we have a solution will post it to this forum.

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Hi,

You may have been updated via the ticket but also wanted to update here.

As it turns out, this issue is related to assigning the Barcode field also as a lookup field. Since this is really the *source* of data for the other lookups, it should not also be set as a lookup itself. This was causing the endless loop type effect since it was just re-triggering to lookup against itself (if that makes sense).

Turning the lookups off for this field should resolve the issue. I had also recommended turning OFF "Auto Find on Scan". Keeping that also off still probably makes sense.

gpern83

Thank you Oliver, Joseph and Dan. That issue is resolved.

Does anyone know how I can get the scan to go/submit automatically? I am having to scan the barcode, and then manually hit go, or submit for the lookups to occur.

gpern83

Figured out the submit on scan. DataWedge settings changed to "send as enter key" seems to have it working as expected.