Sync Fingerprinting

Anthony Asselta

I'm looking to be able to identify devices by name or registration number (not IP) every time they sync data. It would help me trend users and see activity much easier. I'd also like to be able to store the data in sql instead of a log file so I can run reports on the data.

Howard Heckman III

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Anthony,

You can add a field to your form that captures the Device ID of the device every time a record is saved. This data can then be synced to your database table along with the other field information stored with your record. This would allow you to see the device that sent the data in the database table as opposed to the log file. This field could also be set to read only, and not visible so that the user does not see it.

To do this, add a field to your form, and change its FieldType to 'Variable'. When the 'Variable Options' tab appears change the Variable type to Device ID.

Let us know if this helps.

Anthony Asselta

This is a great suggestion. I'll have to see if I can timestamp as well. It would be good to see the scan time stamps. I also want to get sync time stamps.

Howard Heckman III

Administrator
Staff member
You can time stamp each record by adding a field to your form and change its data type to DateTime. You can adjust the format as needed.

Currently the only way to get sync time stamps would be to look at the log file.

Anthony Asselta

"Currently the only way to get sync time stamps would be to look at the log file."
Well if this is ever added I owe some programmers lunch! Thanks for the replies.