Triggering a stored procedure from the mobile device

OliverR

Hi all, I figured I'd post my question here instead of sending an e-mail :)

A lead of ours is looking to implement a TracerPlus solution in their production environment. One thing he would very much like to be able to do is trigger a Stored Procedure on their ODBC database from the mobile device.

I've already suggested setting up triggers to do that, but the problem is the stored procedure doesn't need to be run after *every* insert or update of a table. It needs to be run after a user has scanned all items, and the amount of items to be scanned varies. So ideally the user would start the stored procedure at the end of their scanning exercise, from the mobile device.

I'm pretty sure there's no way to do that, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has suggestions to work around this problem. If we can find a good enough alternative we should be good to go.

Anthony Asselta

What if you set up the sync to make a line entry that will launch your triggers? This way it would only kick off after your scan process. It seems like you could easily create a field to enter a value on a sync only.

Dan Peluso

Staff member
Along the lines of what Anthony is suggesting, you could create a specific profile in TP Connect that only had one process. This process could even use just a simple ODBC to ODBC sync of one record. From there, the Button press on the device would be configured to sync this profile and the dest table could have an insert trigger used to fire the Stored procedure. Since this Profile/Process wouild be just an ODBC -->ODBC sync process, no data would be coming from the device but the sync button would just be used to fire that profile subsequently the stored proc.

OliverR

Thanks guys, that might be a workable solution. I'll experiment a bit with that and see how it goes, thanks again.